FIFA Football Turf Quality Program. This week we had great news about our b...
THE NATURAL ANSWER FOR INCREASED USAGE
HYBRID GRASS is the ultimate marriage between natural and synthetic grass. It combines all the benefits of a natural grass playing surface with the strength and durability of synthetic grass. The HYBRID TURF systems consists of high quality Omega synthetic grass fibers, tufted in a special patented backing incorporating over 50% voids. HYBRID TURF truly provides the optimum grass reinforcement system whilst enhancing the growing conditions for the natural grass.
HYBRIDGRASS carpet is installed on a carefully selected root zone layer and filled with a specifically defined root zone mixture before high quality sports field grass is seeded into the surface. The natural grass grows between the synthetic grass fibers creating a strong and vigorous playing surface. The ‘open’ texture of the backing ensures that the grass roots are not obstructed in their vertical movement downwards starting from the day of installation.
Benefits For The Players
- Playable 24/7 under almost all conditions.
- Uniform and level playing surface, even in high wear areas and goal boxes.
- Always green surface, even when natural grass has worn out.
- Optimum parameters on player-surface interaction (friction, rotational resistance, underfoot stability, shear strength, drainage properties).
- Less chance on playing surface related injuries.
- Train and play on the same surface.
Beneﬁts For The Groundstaff
- No more divot to repair! Only minor scars and scratches to the surface that require attention.
- No special maintenance equipment required.
- Easy to manipulate playing surface conditions, tailored to the players and managers requirements.
- Quick recovery of natural grass during the season and during regeneration period.
- A Shorter out of season regeneration period.
- Easy to repair damages by simply replacing sections.
Benefits For The Facility Manager
- Increase of playing capacity up to 1000 hours per annum.
- Play and train on the same surface and therefore reduce the need for additional training areas.
- The ‘always green’ surface will guarantee a good visual appearance to the users and spectators.
- HYBRID TURF initial installation costs are very competitive compared to similar quality hybrid grass systems.
- HYBRID TURF on-going costs for maintenance are in line with those for sand based natural grass surfaces.
- No need to invest in special maintenance equipment.
- The ‘end of life’ cost liability is low when re-using the HYBRID TURF surface as turf rolls/sods.
- Above all HYBRID TURF maintenance cost is beneficial as HYBRID TURF ensures a much higher usage compared to natural grass surfaces and has double the lifespan compared to synthetic grass surfaces.
Meeting International Standards
One of the major design challenges for HYBRIDGRASS is for the system to meet the International Football Standards. As with all natural grass reinforcement systems, HYBRIDGRASS is recognised as a natural grass playing surface according to the main regulating sports bodies such as FIFA, UEFA, WR, GAA, FIH. No specific international standards are applicable other than specific regional natural grass playing surface standards.
Typically, a higher fiber density generates increased shear strength in the playing surface and a better technical and visual performance of the system under high wear conditions. The choice of the type of HYBRIDTURF is dictated by the customers design brief and required usage pattern.
The HYBRIDGRASS range of products offer 3 versions that are differentiated by the face weight or fiber density:
- HYBRIDTURF 50 SS 14
- HYBRIDTURF 50 DS 10
- HYBRIDTURF 50 DS 13
HYBRIDGRASS surfaces are designed to meet local natural grass standards and also meet the FIFA Quality Standard for synthetic turf surfaces. This proves HYBRIDGRASS is the best of both worlds and guarantees a playable surface under all conditions at all times!
Science Behind HYBRID GRASS
It has been proven that grass roots contribute considerably to the penetration resistance of the top layer of sports surfaces (Van Wijk, 1980). The reinforcing action of the grass roots can be explained from the high root intensities in the top layer and the tensile strength of the roots itself. When a stud of a football boot is inserted into the root zone, the soil material under the stud is displaced upwards and in lateral directions along certain shear planes (see figure).
The tensile strength of the roots crossing the shear planes will avoid or reduce this lateral displacement. In the analogy, the synthetic fibers of HYBRIDGRASS are designed in such a way that no lateral displacement of the soil will take place, even when the natural grass component of the system has worn out.
According to field investigations a penetration resistance of the top layer of 1.4 MPa implies a soil strength that is adequate for intensive playing. Soil strength values can be affected by:
- The bulk density of the soil
- The amount of organic matter in the soil
- The soil moisture conditions
- The grass cover and grass root system
Using a reinforced natural grass system like HYBRIDGRASS contributes to a better environment. Once established, HYBRIDGRASS consists of up to 90% of natural grass and hence contributes to CO2 reduction in the atmosphere. The cooling effect of natural grass caused by its respiration, benefits to the direct, often urban, environment as well as to the well-being of the players.
Compared to synthetic grass systems, the lifespan of HYBRIDGRASS is doubled and hence reduces the environmental impact of producing synthetic turf carpets dramatically.
HYBRIDGRASS installations are typically completed in 5-7 days when seeded in-situ or 2-3 days when pre-grown HYBRIDGRASS turf/sods are used. The HYBRIDGRASS carpet is unrolled on a level and consolidated lower root zone layer in 4-meter-wide rolls. Unlike other hybrid turf systems, the HYBRIDGRASS rolls will be joined via a unique glue connection, leaving no vertical or horizontal obstruction for grass roots to develop. Once the carpet is installed, the infill mixture is applied in layers of 6-8mm while brushing up the fibers. Due to its unique shape and properties, the Hatko Omega fiber stands up naturally and requires very limited abrasive brushing. The total required infill depth is 35mm loose bulk (32mm consolidated).
Design, Build & Maintenance
Our HYBRIDGRASS (Hibrit Çim) engineering service provides customer support starting from defining the initial design brief to preparing the working design, to executing the installation and maintenance. Our experienced engineers are able to translate the clients' requirements into the best design while taking into account local conditions, restrictions and available construction materials.